Dr. Hooper will help you to:
- Understand the complexity of trauma
- Examine experiences without retraumatizing yourself
- Neutralize triggers
- Calm and soothe yourself
- Heal wounded attachment patterns
- Change your internal experience in moments
- Let go of toxic coping – impulsivity, substances, relationships, self-harm
You have either directly or indirectly experienced something that has so overwhelmed you that you feel it difficult to be present in your own body with ease. Memories may either haunt you constantly or feel beyond your reach. Sometimes it feels like your brain is in “overdrive” as well as “not quite working right” at the same time.
Healing begins with renewing your relationship with yourself. Rather than trying to push down sensations and emotions, you will learn to provide a space within to host them. They are messengers that invite dialogue. You will learn how to engage in a healing conversation with yourself. Ultimately, the scars will be transformed to be illumination on life’s journey, stars that guide you in the way of peace.
Frequently, trauma survivors do not have comprehensive memories. Often, they have only fragments. Always they have symptoms such as:
- Self-destructive behavior
- Substance or food or behavior related dependency
- Startle very easily
- Decreased interest
- Limited attention span
- Sense of impending doom or hopelessness
Recovery requires new skills that help you calm and soothe yourself as well as accept and integrate the event or events that you have experienced. Recovery is truly an adventure; I would love to accompany you on that journey!